Friday, November 4, 2011

Grandpa

No, this is not my grandpa--unfortunately all of my grandparents passed away when I was young.  But this man was kind of like a grandpa to me.

My best friend, CJ and I have been friends since she was born.  She has been like a sister, her parents like my parents, and her grandpa like my grandpa. 

My fondest memories of him were trick-or-treating at his house.  He would run around the kitchen filling our bags with apples, double-mint gum, quarters, and anything else he could find to keep us there longer.  He always seemed so happy to see us and made us feel like we were special.

Ironically, I went to Grandpa Sherbahn's funeral viewing on Halloween. The best memories of him were being shared at the time of year that I remember him best.  He was 94 years old.

For 92 years of his life, Grandpa Sherbahn lived a vibrant life as an auctioneer, Angus supporter, State Fair Director, WWII vet and many other amazing roles.  He was a special man who touched many people and he will be missed.

I am sorry that I wasn't able to attend his funeral service, so I will pay tribute to him now.  I was glad to have known him, and look forward to sharing fond memories of him with CJ and our families for years to come.

1 comment: