Thursday, October 20, 2011

The "Oh Shit" Chapter


The “Oh Shit” Chapter (as named by Mater)

            I wasn’t three steps out the door when I had to refocus my eyes to realize that the helpless-motionless blob on the asphalt was JohnDeere.  I immediately turned around and walked back into the reception hall–I can’t stand to see things that are in pain, so I had to look away.
            As I covered my face, I sobbed (without the tears–I had sweat out all of my body fluid while dancing).  I just kept repeating “Oh my God” as I sent–“please let him be alive” prayers over and over.  Right away Chellie–and I think Jackie–came to me.  Chellie told me he was ok and supported me as my body shook.  The Jackie gave me the details:

            They had been riding in Kessie’s truck, taking the trash to the dumpster–then Dan (Jackie’s husband) and JohnDeere plopped on the tailgate to go get the leftover food.  Somehow, for some reason, JohnDeere fell off tailgate and landed on his head.  He had been passes out for a minute, but had never stopped breathing.  They had called an ambulance and “The Great” was checking him out.  I t took me a few minutes before I could go to him, and I was terrified that I would find a paralyzed vegetable surrounded by a puddle of blood, but of course I was overreacting.  When I got to him, he was moving–trying to sit up even, and talking–and fortunately the only blood was a small spot from his elbow.
            Seconds later the first responders arrived–after answering a few of their questions–someone convinced me to change out of my bridesmaid dress and prepare to go with him to the hospital.  I called my mother-in-law, Chellie called Mom, Mouth said he would get the truck home, and many other’s looked on.  After they had him strapped to the gurney was the first time I heard someone say ( I think it was Pam) that they had called the Samaritan. A moment of panic went through me as I argued “but that’s only for really seriously injured people.”  Pam responded by saying it was standard for anyone with a head injury–and that The hospital would be the best place for him.  Right away I wanted to know how I would be able to make sure he was ok if he was being taken away and I couldn’t go with him.  Pam and an EMT told me I would just have to wait and find out when I got to the hospital–of course I wasn’t comforted by that answer.
            “The Great” volunteered to drive me to the hospital and we were able to follow the ambulance out of the parking lot and as we pulled out, I asked “The Great” “What are the chances that he will be messed up for the rest of his life?”  Looking back I realize that she never really answered my question.  She told me that his eyes/ pupils were the same size (which is good), but slow to respond which could be bad.  She said he could move all of his limbs and that he was going to the best hospital so he should be okay.
            After we turned at the first intersection, the procession of ambulance, fire truck, police cars, and us all stopped.  I panicked as I saw someone get out of the fire truck, but “The Great” reassured me that they often stop so they can start an IV.  Soon we took off again.  I noticed that I was shaking involuntarily as I felt nauseous.  I also noticed that “The Great” was nervous; gripping the wheel with two hands and trying to hurry, but not speed.  I remember passing a billboard at the body shop that said “Hit a deer–we’ll fix your car and give you a turkey!”– It made us giggle!  Once we were downtown “The Great” realized she had driven all the way through Fort Wayne with the bright lights on.
            When we arrived at the hospital, she found a nice close parking spot and we rushed to the information desk.  They told us that he was not yet in the system, but that he possibly had just landed, and they would be taking him to the ER, so we went there.  Soon a short little lady greeted us, brought me JohnDeere’s keys, wallet, and phone–and told me she had already scanned his license and insurance card and that someone would come out soon to get some more information.
            While we waited for others to show up, and to get more information, we watched a hunting show with birds and wildebeest.  I was, for some reason, annoyed by it.  Soon, My mother-in-law walked in followed by My father-in-law–still in his Troxel uniform.  We gave them an update and they told us that they had been at Jerry and Jackie’s helping Eli load up his horse when I called.  They drove here so quickly that they were pulled over by a police officer just outside of Fort Wayne on US 30 near Sweetwater Sound.  They readied license and registration as the officer slowly made his way to the truck.  The officer asked “Are you having a good night?”  My father-in-law answered, “Actually, not at all–they just took my son to the hospital and I’m trying to get there.”
“Really?”
“Yes. . .”
“Go!!”  And the officer let them drive away.
            Soon after they arrived, my mom and Kyle came in, and then Vester and Kessie.  It was at this point I realized “The Great” still had her bridesmaid dress on.  The short lady came back and told me he had been vomiting–I then sat down with a man who entered employer information into a computer.  Soon someone allowed my father-in-law, My mother-in-law, and I to go back and see him.
           

1 comment: