Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Another Hobby

 I have already shared about my scrapbooking hobby.  I have an entire room set aside for my scrapbook supplies and keep having to buy new storage totes to keep them in.  My scrapbook collection is quickly outgrowing my entertainment center cabinet, and I will have to find more space for all of the finished works.
For a while I spent time making wreaths and other dried flower arrangements.  I have several hanging around my home and have made swags and other items for my family.  I still have all the materials in the corner of my bedroom.  My husband often gets agitated at all of my hobby supplies stuffed into the corners of our house, so when I started making baskets he rolled his eyes.

My best friend C.J. invited me to make baskets with her at the county fair.  I had never really made a basket before--except one year when my sister Lulu and I were young, but I thought I would give it a try.  It took me over 3 1/2 hours to complete--yet another reason for my husband to give me grief--but I loved it and the instructor told me I did a great job!  I was hooked.  I loved basket making.

I went to my mother-in-law and asked her to help me make some more--she is an expert and loves making baskets with antler handles (I want to do this some day).  So she gave me several books that I looked through and marked favorites.  I started with a weed basket (no I don't have illegal habits) and I made one right away.  Then I took some reed home and made three more on my own. 

After I graduated from the weed basket (meant to hold dried flowers--which fortunately I have several of in my room) I went back to my mil and she helped me make this awesome plaid market basket--it is about 2 feet long, 1 foot wide, and 1 foot tall (+ handle).  It looked a little janky at first--with spokes sticking out everywhere and wavy reed weavers, but it turned out awesome. I can't wait to make another basket this week--I want to make one big enough to hold some of my finished scrapbooks!  I am sure she will get sick of me asking "when can we make baskets again?!" but soon I will be a pro and I can make all kinds on my own.

If you know of any place I can find cool basket patterns, let me know! 

1 comment:

  1. Another hobby!? I know how you feel. I think I have 4 or 5 projects going simultaneously! That is such a nice basket. Am looking forward to see what else you create :)

    ReplyDelete