Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Baby Sister

 I have two sisters--my youngest sister Chellie is leaving for college tomorrow.  When Chellie was younger she was a holy terror.  My whole family was frequently at our wits end trying to keep up with her.  She would shimmy up the door jam, unlock the door and escape into the fenced-in yard where she would unhook the fence and roam the neighborhood.  She did not respect privacy, and thought everything was someone else's fault.  She never did her part of chores and just made it so miserable to work with her that we would just give up and tell her to go away so we could do it alone and in peace.
 I punched her in the face once and my mom told her she probably deserved it.  She had the nickname "tornado" because wherever she went she caused chaos.  My mom will even admit that we wanted to get rid of her.
But now we are getting rid of her.  Tomorrow morning she will leave for college for the first time in the "big city."  Despite the crazy childhood we had, she is one of my best friends and I can't imagine home without her.  The past few years I have spent most of the winter months watching her dominate on the basketball court (I know I am a little biased--I don't even know much about basketball), the summers were spent hanging out working with 4-H projects and eating out.  If I was bored, I would just call Chellie. 

I am worried, and sad, and lonely because she is leaving, but I am also excited for all the opportunities she will have.  She has turned into a beautiful (and soon to be very successful) young woman and I admire her.  My other sister went to college, and then to Germany, and now I fear she will never come back home.  It is hard to be the big sister and watch them go out into the world.  I said once to my husband that I am worried about having children because if I love and miss my siblings this much, I don't think I could stand it as a parent.

Chellie-- I love you!  I miss you already!  Stay safe and stay yourself, and take every opportunity you can.  I will make it without you, but I won't like it without you.  Hippopotamus!

1 comment:

  1. You punched her??!! Wow, I'd hate to see you two if you REALLY didn't like one another.

    Oh, and as for being the oldest and missing your siblings when they leave...and worrying about that time when your kids will leave...yeah, i can relate.

    Have a great year Chellie!

    ReplyDelete