Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back to School Night

During the summer I am a hobbit--if you read the hobbit the description of their physical appearance resembles mine (at least that is what my sister said).  I live in the wilderness and try to make the smallest carbon footprint possible.

 During the other seasons, I am an English teacher, and tomorrow is the first day back.  Although most teachers begrudge this day just as much (if not more) than the students, I am excited.  This is my third year teaching 10th grade (mostly) and I feel prepared-- I am pretty organized anyway.  Unlike other teachers who spend time with their children or grandchildren during the summer, I am alone.  And unlike others I cannot afford to take a bunch of vacations--so I am glad to have something to do besides napping (sometimes 2x a day). I am glad to be around people again, and most of my classes are small.

I just met some families at back to school night and I am excited about building relationships with new students.  I have some exchange students from Taiwan and Austria, and I have already learned so much from them.

Teaching is fast paced and the high-stakes make is stressful, but I have a great school system and a wonderful community here.  I will write more about them later I'm sure, but for now I have to go get a good night's sleep-tomorrow will take a lot of energy!

1 comment: