Friday, September 16, 2011

A Busy Week

Wow-- has this ever been a crazy week!  I was hoping to upload some pictures of lots of things yesterday, but the camera and computer were not cooperating--maybe next week.

So--this is how it went this week:

Monday: it was a Monday--ugh!  But, it was also my birthday--yay me!  The husband took me out for dinner and then we visited with some friends until past my bedtime.


Tuesday: The husband had a meeting, so I tried to catch up on grading, housework, etc.  Not much was accomplished because I wanted to go to bed early.

Wednesday:  Woke up at 4:30 because John Deere had to go to work early--he was headed south with a coworker to try and complete a two day project in one.  I was headed to Chicago with a group of students for a field trip--what a day we had ahead of us.

My class went to the Hull House Musuem at the University of Illinois--Chicago campus.  It was a cool experience into the life of Jane Addams, a social activist and welfare pioneer in the 1900s who worked with the very poor immigrant populations of Chicago at the time.  It made me think of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle when we were there.  After that we took Chicago's downtown walking poetry tour.  I was in charge of leading 15 15-year-old students through downtown Chicago, but it was awesome--they are such a good group!  I will post pictures later of all the cool city sights.  But now, my class is making a poetry tour of our town. They had to pick a place and write some poetry, later we will record it in our own voices and make an MP3 file and map that anyone could use.  We hope to give it to the Chamber of Commerce and public library so others could take our tour!  I am soooo  excited about this!

Thursday: Last night we closed on our mortgage re-finance.  We have cut our payback time in half with almost 1/2 the interest rate.  We are super excited to be saving tens of thousands of dollars, and we will have our mortgage paid before we are 40!!  Awesome


Friday:  The goal is just to make it through school today.  Lots of vocabulary quizzes and jeans day mean I am pretty comfortable.  I also have to post my last assignment for the course I am currently taking.  I am now officially 1/2 way done with my Master's degree!  Thank goodness for one year online programs!
It is cold-- 42 now, high of 60 today, so when I get home I am going to make some chili and unwind from this crazy week--maybe do some scrapbooking!

Tomorrow it is off to Indy to see Chellie for Parents and Family Weekend-- Maybe Sunday will be relaxing?!?

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you refer to him as "the husband"...hee hee!

    Wow, Chicago! I miss that town. I would have loved to learn more about Jane Aadams. What a woman!

    Your poetry project (MP3, library, walking tour)sounds awesome! I want to hear more about that when you are finished.

    Have a good Friday and a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete